[Gllug] Linux graphics card

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Thu Jun 10 09:29:48 UTC 2004

Mike Brodbelt writes:

>Look at the list of stuff that's well supported by open source drivers
>in X, and pick from that.

The problem is, there *aren't* any well supported cards with open source
drivers (modern cards, that is). The ATI 9200 is probably about as good
as you get before having to resort to closed source drivers. 3D Labs cards
have been supported, but they're very pricey, and even they have now gone
the closed source router for recent cards AFAIK.

>If you don't need 3d, just buy a Matrox card.

Actually, even if you do need 3D, Matrox isn't a bad option. A G450 is
quite capable of playing Q3 and Unreal Tournament under Linux at decent
framerates. It can't do UT2004 due to the lack of texture compression,
I think, but apart from that, it's a fine card.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk