[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Wed Jun 30 18:22:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Tethys wrote:

>Pete Ryland writes:
>
>>I haven't looked at it for a while, but the mailing lists have been
>>basically silent for the last few years.  I don't think it's officially dead
>>- well I hope not as it's a good idea - but I reckon it'd take someone else
>>taking over for it to get anywhere from here.
>
>I think the only sane alternatives to CVS at this point are probably
>BitKeeper or for a Free solution, Arch. Subversion has some minor
>improvements to CVS, but not enough IMHO to justify the switch. The
>other two are major steps forward.

Having just converted to subversion from CVS, I must say I'm very
impressed. Very CVS like in general use, but with the benefits of
versioned directories amongst other things. That alone is worth making the
switch for.

I've never used Arch, and I know some people rave about it, but I just
don't see the great benefit in distributed repositories. Perhaps 5-10
years ago when the world wasn't so well (inter)connected, but now?

Averyone should avoid ClearCase like the plague, and not just 'cos it's
expensive. Dynamic views sound really good on paper, but in practice,
well, it's not a big win, especially when you require filesystem drivers
to implement it.

>Tet

Christian

--