[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Jun 6 16:39:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 05:27:12PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> I am therefore considering putting in a bid for a powerful multi-cpu
> workstation.  The obvious choice seems to be between a couple of
> hyperthreaded processors (giving almost 4 effective processors) or a
> couple of AMD 64 bit processors.  Given that the task is very compute
> intensive (but doesn't require much of anything else - memory or i/o)
> which would be likely to give the better performance?

To prepare a school timetable!?!  My old physics teacher used to do
all the timetables in his summer holidays ...

Seriously though, have you looked at using a declarative language to
search through the space?  Prolog being the obvious choice.

Rich.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk