[Gllug] re: SCSI vs Serial ATA

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Jun 14 11:41:09 UTC 2004

On Monday, 14 Jun 2004, Richard Jones wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 12:11:34PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
>>If electricity flows at about 1 foot a nanosecond,
>Just to correct you here: the electronic *signal* moves at that speed.
>The actual electrons themselves move much much more slowly:

I'm sure everyone here is aware of electron drift velocities; but when
an informal expression such as "electricity flows at" is used, I don't
think you can definitely say that that must necessarily refer to
either signal propagation or electron drift; instead one must look at
the context, and from the context it's clear that signal propagation
speed is what is meant.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk