[Gllug] re spam

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Jun 24 13:53:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 06:20:03PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> Have today temporarily disabled my email filters to see what what junk
> is being thrown at me. Most is as expected (drugs, sex, Nigerian scam etc),
> but there are a few where the body contains just a string of English words.
> I can see that if I try to filter for certain phrases contained in the
> body of
> an email this would not stop the thing getting through. Some contain a
> URL, and I suppose there are people who would 'have a look-see', but is
> there any other possible advantage to a spammer (other than
> bloodymindedness)?
>
> Any one know why this is done?

i would say it is to corrupt baysian filters, by putting plan english in a fake
message, if you flag it as sapam, chances are next time more legitimate mail
will get trashed, making you remove your filter, letting spam get thru..

Ian
--
/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk