[Gllug] MPlayer oddity

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sat Jun 26 22:20:21 UTC 2004

First a quick system plan:
	P400ish X server thin client, also has xmms and mplayer for direct
access to sound and video hardware
	1GHz network server and chrooted sid for X desktop

I ran mplayer (which has ao set to alsa1x in mplayer.conf) inside the
chroot, in order to start playing around with the newly discovered
(thanks Dylan :-) vsound.

Much to my surprise, instead of claiming the alsa devices didn't exist
(or /dev/dsp, as I thought it was set to oss) it played over the network
to the 'thin' client which actually has a sound card.

Is this some new feature I was unaware of? Is it perhaps paying
attention to $DISPLAY?

Far too strange for this time of night.

Matthew

--