[Gllug] managing a large number of debian boxes

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 7 19:54:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:31:45PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hi Steve
>
> On Monday, June 7, 2004, Steve wrote:
>
> > Is there anything similar, over the web or an app that will let me
> > schedule apt-get to install things etc?
>
> > Is there a BetterWay(TM) to do this?
>
> This is what we have cfengine for.  I've used it to manage several
> datacentres worth of hardware.

cfengine is an interesting tool but it doesn't provide an immediate
answer to the OP's question.  cfengine doesn't have any specific
package management tools and requires some extra work to be any use in
this case.

pkgsync, on the other hand, is specifically geared to this task.  You
can use cfengine (or rdist or something similar) to distribute pkgsync's
config files.

http://packages.debian.org/pkgsync

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill