[Gllug] [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jun 9 12:46:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:32:54PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:

> If you use qualitative values for text size, i.e. 'medium', 'larger',
> x-small, etc. you can set the width of the table in 'em' units, which neatly
> solves this problem.

Sadly these units for font sizing are horrically inconsistent across
different browsers. Nutscrape displays them about 2 sizes larger
than every one, & Opera does them 1 size large. I've started using
a technique whereby you set a % size on the body tag & then set
other elements using ems. This lets you scale the size of every
element simply by adjusting the % size on the body tag. That said
I always keep body set at 76% which gives consistent sizing across
Mozilla, Konquerer, IE & Opera.

For bugs in qualitative values:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sizematters/

Scheme for consistent sizing: