[Gllug] Microsoft Get The Facts Seminar

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Mon Jun 21 08:26:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:56:49 +0100
Tethys <tet at createservices.com> wrote:

> Huw Lynes writes:
>
> >http://www.hlynes.com/getthefacts.shtml
>
> >From the article:
>
> 	The overall tone of this event makes it fairly clear as to Microsoft's
> 	anti-Linux strategy.
>
> 	1. Claim that linux isn't free.
>
> But the fact is, Linux *isn't* free. Yes, it's free to the likes of
> you or me. It's free to companies that have sufficiently clued up
> technical staff. But to the vast majority of companies, it costs them
> money in the form of a support contract with Red Hat or SuSE. It's
> a brave company that decides to ditch Windows in favour of a Debian
> or Fedora install, unless they have a reasonable amount of in house
> technical expertise. And most don't...

All computer systems cost money in terms of time spent on support and
implementation. Even my system at home costs me time to support. That's not
the point that Microsoft were making. They were trying their hardest to scare
people away from trying free distributions. To claim that linux isn't free is
disingenuous. It is free and you have the option of paying someone to support
it. If you buy Windows you are paying up-front for support you may or may not
use.

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk