[Gllug] Click that URL

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Jun 5 13:20:05 UTC 2004

On Fri 04 Jun Peter Childs wrote:
>    Within mozilla-thunderbird (running on debian) if I clock on a url
> in an email like
>
> http://www.gllug.org.uk/
>
> I get the web page up on Links at home, If I do this at work I  get
> Konqueror. How do I change this in both locations to load my favourite
> browser (firefox in this case)

There's lots of places this can be configured unfortunately.

In debian there is an alternative 'www-browser' that you can change:

    # update-alternatives --config www-browser

That's the console one.  There's also x-www-browser for an X11 browser.

ESR is championing a BROWSER environment variable, that is supported in
some stuff:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/BROWSER/

I imagine KDE and Gnome also have their own way of configuring it too.

Finally, I imagine some applications might check the mailcap
($HOME/.mailcap then /etc/mailcap) for text/html.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
  http://adju.st/   | I am the hamster.
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD | Hear me roar.           Growl!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk