[Gllug] Down in the valley something stirred

Leslie Till les_till at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 16:47:51 UTC 2004

This is the reply I received, 21st May, from the DTI regarding an email that I sent on the 14th May.

Thank you for your enquiry to the DTI Enquiry Unit: as the Patent Office has responsibility for intellectual property policy (including patents), they have asked me to reply to you.

I recognise your concerns and understand fully the reasons behind them.  However, in considering the best ways to encourage innovation in the UK, the Government believes that a fair and effective intellectual property system, for software as well as for other areas of technology, plays a central part in developing and protecting new ideas.

The proposals that were discussed by European ministers this week would not introduce or extend the patenting of software or of computer-implemented inventions.  Patents for computer-implemented inventions have been allowed in the UK for decades - as many as 15% of current patent applications and grants are for such inventions and vast growth has been seen in the internet and software industry in this time. The proposed Directive  would not change this position at all, nor would it make any software patentable that is currently unpatentable.

The approach adopted by the UK Government and the European Commission in the proposed Directive is to clarify the current position on patentability of computer-implemented inventions and confirm that only those inventions that involve a technical contribution can be protected by patents.  We believe that this is beneficial for industry and consumers alike, and would serve to help the continued development of the software industry in the UK and Europe.

I hope that this is helpful

Richard Mulcahy
Intellectual Property & Innovation Directorate/
Cyfarwyddiaeth Eiddo Deallusol a
The Patent Office/Y Swyddfa Batentau
Tel/Ffon 01633 814767

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk