[Gllug] Smile: Internet banking that works outside IE?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Jun 16 09:36:17 UTC 2004

Hi folks.

Shitibank have passed the "final straw" stage now, so I'm looking for
another bank.  (This time, they lost the authenticated copy of my
passport that I gave them when I opened the account, so I have to
incur out-of-pocket expenses of either time [get to a Shitibank branch
during their opening hours] or money [pay a lawyer or notary public to
authenticate] to solve their problem.)

Sooo...  I'm looking at changing banks.  Re-reading the discussion
last week, it seems that Smile/Co-op are the ethical option, albeit
with some rather dodgy and incompetent practises.  I'm now resigned to
never finding a bank that isn't incompetent (Shitibank were good
before they moved their customer services to Bombay).

So here I am attempting to apply for a Smile account.  I remember
people saying the banking site works fine in Mozilla.  However, I
can't even get past the first form on the application screen because
it insists I fill in the date of birth field yet some Javascript
boondoggle stops me selecting and typing in the field...

So can a Smile user please advise me that the banking application, at
least, works fully in Mozilla on Linux?  I can use IE for the sign-up
stuff, if I must, but don't want to jump through hoops for day-to-day
operations.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "University politics are vicious precisely because the
  stakes are so small."
- Henry Kissinger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk