[Gllug] [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jun 9 10:04:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:51:10AM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> XHTML is purely a marketing gimmick to be buzzword compliant by reworking
> everything in XML. Bleurgh!

Aahh, you'll enjoy The Parable of the Languages then...

<quote src=http://weblog.burningbird.net/archives/2002/10/08/the-parable-of-the-languages>
XML! Exclaimed C++. What are you doing here? You're not a programming
language.

   Tell that to the people who use me, said XML.

   ...snip...

   And yet, all I am is a simple little markup, from
   humble origins. It's a burden, being XML.

At that XML sighed, and the other languages, moved by its plight
gathered around...

...and tromped that little XML into the dirt. Yes, into the very dirt at
their feet. Basic tromped, and C++ tromped, and Java cleaned and tromped and
cleaned again, and COBOL tried to throw a kick at XML's head but fell over
on its cane. Even LISP pulled itself out of the pond to throw loopy hands
around XML's throat, but only managed to choke its ownself.

    And each language could be heard to mumble as it tromped and tromped and
    tromped, with complete and utter glee:

    Have to parse XML, eh? Have to have an XML API, eh? Have to work
    with SOAP and XML-RPC and RSS and RDF, eh?

    Well parse this, you little markup asshole.
</quote>

Dan :-)