[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Martin Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Mon Jun 7 07:44:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 22:20, John Winters wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 17:52, Martin Stevens wrote:
> > I feel your pain John,

> The school is from years 9 to 13.  The thing the software really can't
> cope with is the sixth form, where each student chooses one subject from
> each of four columns, but we don't know at the time of scheduling who
> will choose what.

Ahhh, Options for Year 10 and 12, yup we've just done that and are now
timetabling it, I looked at the Open Source School Management suites
last year, before the decision was made to use CMIS. The only one that I
found with a possible decent road plan for things like this is
schooltool, but it isn't really quite ready yet.

I've found that the timetabling really isn't the hard part it is
building a curriculum plan in the first place.

Your probably aware of the existing proprietary solutions, which not
only do timetabling but also school management, i.e. managing exams and
student records and the like, but of course they are all expensive and
having maintenance contracts with them.

But after having to support 3 different applications for a year I have
found that 1 system to manage the all of the information has made it
real easy, not only for timetabling but for returns to the LEA as well.

We are just in the process of rolling out electronic registration which
is yet another new fangled idea.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk