[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Tue Jun 22 15:24:47 UTC 2004

The well informed 1351 writes:

>I see that plenty of other people have made my answer for me before I
>got the opportunity to respond, but I'll add my voice to them anyway and
>recommend Jack (http://jackit.sourceforge.net/).

I've been vaguely aware of Jack for a while but haven't really known what
it was, other than something sound related. Assuming it can replace esd,
artsd and the like, does it need application support? I.e., does the
application need to know it's talking to Jack, or can it live with thinking
that it's just talking directly to the kernel sound drivers? Specifically,
I use xmms, totem, mplayer and realplay (and occasionally a flash plugin
in a browser, but I haven't actually had that installed for a while). Now
some of those (xmms, totem etc.) are relatively easily modified if necessary.
But for others (e.g., realplay) I'm stuck with what they ship...

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk