[Gllug] Number or files per directory

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Jun 6 15:57:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 04:15:12PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What is the point, with ext3, where the number of files in a directory
> starts having an impact on performance or storage efficiency. I realise
> that the more files the longer a directory scan will take, but is there
> anything like the FAT issue of needing a second directory listing for
> over a certain limiting number of files?

My experience, based on a maildir server I ran a few years ago, so
things may have changed now, is that over 10,000 files in a directory
and you'll start to see a slowdown.  Over 100,000 files and things
tend to grind to a halt.  There is no practical limit to the number of
files you can have in a directory, however.

Rich.

MOD_CAML lets you run type-safe Objective CAML programs inside the Apache
webserver. http://www.merjis.com/developers/mod_caml/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk