[Gllug] Piping into sox?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Jun 26 14:33:52 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm playing with recording radio programmes... I can easily record a
stream with:

vsound -d -f file.wav trplayer -c -s
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/live/fmg2.ram

Which gives me a wav file which can then be encoded etc...

Unfortunately this file tends to get a bit big (for a 3 hour programme
you're looking at 1.8G) so I'd like to perform the encoding on the
fly...

I figure I can pipe the stdout of vsound int the stdin of sox and thence
to oggenc. Vsound will only output a .au file to stdout, so sox must
convert this to wav for oggenc to take it.

I tried:

vsound -d -s trplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/live/fmg2.ram | sox -t
au - test.wav

but get the following error:

sox: Failed reading -: Did not detect valid Sun/NeXT/DEC magic number in
header.

and it seems vsound is not starting trplayer when started like this...

Any hints?

Cheers
Dylan

--