[Gllug] Live CD Firewalls

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 22:51:12 UTC 2004

On Tue 15 Jun, Rob Crowther wrote:

> Has anyone any experience of using a Live CD Firewall?  My company is
> moving offices this week and there will be one day when we need two
> firewalls, but we don't really need to splash out on a new hardware
> firewall or go to the bother of wiping a machine for the day's use and
> then have to re-install it (we are a windows based shop, and I'm not
> keen on running a firewall on that), so a Live CD solution seems ideal.
>   From my (minimal) research I've identified the following candidates:
>
> http://www.devil-linux.org/home/index.php
> http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/WebHome
> http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/cdrouter.html
> http://www.sentryfirewall.com/
>
> Has anyone had any experiences they want to share with these or any
> other Live CD firewall?
>
> Rob

   I have an old box already set up and loaded with ipcop and three 10BaseT
ethernet interfaces which is sitting powered but not actually being used at
present, another one is already in use on my ADSL feed. It is very easy to
re-configure, and could be used as a temporary replacement. However it does
not have any anti-virus facility as I do not run M$.

--
Chris Bell (North Acton)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk