[Gllug] Samba PDC

neil neilcuk at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 14:24:00 UTC 2004

Craig Millar wrote:

> I am intending to replace our old windows NT domain controller with a
> samba version under Debian. User authentication is done with an ldap
> server on the same box. Thus far I have had a reasonable amount of
> success and my two test client (windows 98) are authenticating and
> picking up the policy file on the linux box, config.pol.
>
> Thus far I cannot see any errors in my samba nor ldap logs when the
> machine logs in and all seems alright with the world. The problem is
> that neither 98 machine appears in Network Neighborhood, only the
> server is available. The windows 98 boxes are both setup for the
> correct workgroup/domain and are not appearing in the old domain. They
> can access each other via nbtstat and can browse each other's
> resources using \\machine-name.

<snip>

It's been a while since I've worked hands-on with any windows stuff -
but I seem to remember that the Network Neighborhood only depicts those
[win9x] devices which have some resource to offer - particularly file
and printer sharing. The problem isn't with SAMBA, although you may want
to investigate the option of using your SAMBA server to maintain the
master browse list - but not while it lives on the same network as an
existing windows-maintained windows domain - I seem to remember hearing
this can cause issues if an election is forced.

neil

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk