[Gllug] An article for you from an Economist.com reader.

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Wed Jun 23 12:07:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:07:50 +0100
Tethys <tet at createservices.com> wrote:

> Amias Channer writes:
>
> >> This seems to me to be a contradiction in terms. If your source is
> >> freely available and modifiable, then where's your monopoly? (You
> >> might have *most of the market*, but you have no monopoly lock.)
> >
> >So you don't use redhat in a production enviroment then ?
>
> Yes, I do. Like Nix says, though, where's the monopoly lock?

I belive if you want to use oracle on redhat you are locked to certain
distro versions and possibly even kernel version , also if you want to
deploy perl applications on a production system you can only use the
modules that they have rpm'ed or risk having to fight rpm with cpan
and make your system hard to audit or re-create.

This ammounts to a lockin because moving to another distro becomes
difficult the more you develop your system.

This is not an anti redhat rant , i've used their distros for a long
time (and am using 2 of them here) , in fact long enough to feel 'locked
in' to their versions of various tools and to not want to use other
distros so i don't have to re-learn stuff .

The monopoly in the case is not sinister but it has a notable effect .

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk