[Gllug] OT: Digital video cameras

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Sat Jun 19 11:34:55 UTC 2004

Dylan,

  We own a JVC digital video camera that is small, compact, and just
works.  Make sure you get a DV camera as it is a standard, then check to
see if it uses Firewire or USB or what?

Quick Synopsis or our camera:
JVC DVP9 (or something like it)
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027061&pathId=26&page=2
Takes Video and Stills onto Video Tape
Takes Stills onto an SD memory card (No video to card)
Has USB interface to read memory card only
Has Firewire Interface to read Video (and control camera) only.

I have used this camera with Windows but not Linux.
I have used it with Sony software that came with my computer to control
and extract video from this camera with no problems. Be aware you will
need a monstrous hard drive to work with video on a regular basis and do
editing and such and you will want a DVD burner.

Only problem I have with it is that he hand strap attaches to the Tape
Door at one end so If I put too much pressure on it, it opens.  This has
happened a total of once, as I was careful after that, not a big issue
but it is one.

Good software is a must.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Andrew Farnsworth