[Gllug] Dual Boot

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 21 15:48:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 04:31:54PM +0100, FORSTER, wrote:
> I do this all the time, but I usually install LILO/Grub into the Linux
> partition and use the windows boot loader instead. Only because I don't feel
> confident enough (yet) with LILO/Grub to install it to the MBR.

There is often no need to install the boot loader into the MBR.  Not
only that but with some BIOSes (mostly older ones) Linux may crash on
shutdown if the bootloader is in the MBR.

As long as the hard disk already has a functional MBR, all you need to
do is install Lilo or Grub to your root or boot partition and mark that
partition as bootable.  You don't even need to do that last bit if you
have one of the slightly more intelligent MBR programs installed (e.g
the one that Santiago Mantiman packages for Debian), as some of them
will let you choose the partition from which to boot.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.