[Gllug] re: software dowloads patent

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Wed Jun 16 11:55:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:37:09AM +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> And verily, didst Richard Jones announce to the hordes:
> > Earliest patent filed in May '94, which means there's likely to be a
> > lot of prior art from, eg., Unix distribution.
> >
> > However, none of that matters unless you happen to have $2m lying
> > around to challenge the patent in court.
>
> Fortunately, the most likely targets of this patent attack are likely to be
> the very ones who're rolling in it.
>
> Microsoft, anti-virus companies, etc.
> If they DID choose to target a linux distro like debian, then they'd have an
> entire worldwide community to deal with.

Ignoring it now will make it impossible to combat should they eventually decide
to attack free software, it is one law for everyone, not just for those we done
like,

a win on this over microsoft would earn BTG lots of cash, and make it easier to
go after others, microsoft would pay up, and still have plenty of cash to screw
us over with later. i wouldnt be suprised if ms started paying BTG's lawyers.

Go use fax your MP, please!

Ian
--
/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk