[Gllug] Can I obtain a list of IP address block allocations?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 15:55:30 UTC 2004

On Wed 09 Jun, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> And verily, didst Chris Bell announce to the hordes:
> >
> > Hello,
> >    If I receive a junk email I do a whois search, based on the authenticated
> > IP address, for the correct reporting address and send the email to the ISP
> > of the sender. I do not bounce the email back to the sender.
> >    Some locations only provide whois information in English with
> > restrictions. For example Korea provides a web facility which requires the
> > use of Macromedia Flash. Can I obtain a full list of IP addresses allocated
> > to such an area so that I can block ALL emails from these areas?
> >    The last one came from 203.252.71.93 which resolves to a block allocated
> > to Kangwon National University, but there is no reporting address given.
>
> If the text address ends in .kr, can't you just (assuming sendmail here) add
> .kr to the access list along with a "550 No spammers! Go away!" error
> message?
> :)
>
> It might not capture all korean IPs (some might be .com, .net or .org), but
> it'd capture a majority, I'd think, unless they spoof...

   The only information I can rely on is the authenticated IP address, even
the associated helo: was forged (it was an internal Demon/Thus IP address),
the rest of the email contained suggestions of Africa and/or USA. Complaints
to the ISP involved normally generate just an automated response, but the
problem goes away.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk