[Gllug] [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Jun 9 10:56:19 UTC 2004

"Daniel P. Berrange" writes:

>Eric Meyer's book showed the lowdown on this:

>#mytable {
>  width: 60%;
>  margin-left: auto;
>  margin-right: auto;
>}

That's not a solution. It's a crude hack, and it doesn't give the same
behaviour as <div align="center">. It only works if you specify a fixed
width table. How do you know how wide the table should be? It's dependent
on the font size in the user-agent, for example, and 99% of the time, you'll
either guess too wide (in which case the table may theoretically be centred,
but to the end us it will appear off centre to the left) or too narrow (in
which case you'll get more line wrapping than is desirable). I want a centred
natural width table. This is an area where CSS is currently weak AFAIK.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk