[Gllug] Zaurus

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jun 8 15:49:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 03:03:06PM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Ian Norton wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >at last, i have managed to win a zaurus auction on ebay, i got myself a
> >nice
> >sl-5500 for just over 100 pounds.
>
> Hmm - for that sort of money, might be worth looking for one myself.
> Hard to get anything for my Psion nowadays.

The going rate seems to be about 120 for a sl5500 (206mhz strongarm) or 180 for a sl5600 (400mhz xscale), from what ive read there isnt much performance difference between the two because of the way the arm managed memory,

the brand new sl6000 also looks really cool, it has built in wifi and a usb
host controller, so just add an XGA CF card and plug in your keyboard and mouse
and you have the most portable linux box ever :-) (800x600 display on the
device itself if you dont want an external screen), add to that a 1Gb
microdrive and a usb cdrom/cdrw and you are already making ipaqs look a little
under featured :-)

> >without splashing out on an SD card just yet is it particularly difficult
> >cram compiler and assember onto the zaurus?
>
> I think you usually set gcc to cross-compile to ARM rather than x86. I'd
> have thought one of the open-source-on-pda projects would have some details.

I just read some stuff about the arm debian port working on it if you install
it to a SD or CF card, might have to do that

Ian

> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd
> --

/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
 */
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk