[Gllug] Linux graphics card

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Jun 9 10:20:05 UTC 2004

Andrew Halliwell originally wrote:

> NVidia. Nuff said...
> :)
> Dunno what specs of card you're looking for but there're a few
> geforce cards in your price range.

I was considering moving over to an Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra from my now
lowly Radeon 9800, but (a) I doubt my Dell Dimension 8300's power supply
will be able to cope with it and (b) it takes up two slots and (c) the
Radeon X800 XT pretty much beats the Geforce in performance, power and
slottage.

I like ATI, but it took them forever to release any proper Linux drivers for
the Radeon range, and is a real pain (patching, etc) to get the latest 4.3.0
drivers to work under a 2.6 kernel.  I thought Nvidia drivers were bad, but
they're postively fantastic in comparison to ATI.

Regards,

	Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk