[Gllug] london's oldest wintel

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 19:06:39 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 14:10, Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Ian Norton <bredroll at darkspace.org.uk> [040615 14:03]:
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:59:02PM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> > > my best guess is someone will proclame thier p200 running win98 to be
> > > the oldest pc in london  :-P
>
> i retrieved my old 4.77 Mhz, 640K, 20MB hard disk Tandon with Hercules
> graphics card from the cupboard the other day and to my surprise it
> booted up (first time in 16 years?) and ran WordPerfect 5.1 without a
> hitch.

WP 5.1, now that was a quality app. 11 years ago I was the admin for a network
(Novell Netware 286) of six XTs all running WP 4.2.

I have to say that - part from a brief flirtation with AmiPro in the mid 1990s
- I have yet to be convinced that word processor exists that has a better
match of power to usability. An open sourced version of that would be reason
enough to run Linux on millions of 386sx boxes :)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk