[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jun 8 16:06:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 13:13, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:54:29PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 17:17, Pete Ryland wrote:
[snip]
> > > In the general case it is indeed NP-complete, but generally in
> > > practice this is not the case.
> >
> > Can you provide any background to this claim?  It would be nice to find
> > a way of cutting out all the number crunching.
>
> The problem can be reduced considerably if you start adding arbitrary rules.
> For example, all first formers must take English (I hope), so you could
> stipulate that they all take it at the same time (if you have enough English
> teachers).  Keep adding constraints like this and the problem will almost
> solve itself.  And you'll also end up with a much simpler time-table.

Unfortunately the arbitrary "extra" rules you suggest are already the
norm.  Everyone takes English and Maths and this has to be scheduled for
a whole year at the same time (because the streaming for English, Maths
and other things is not the same).  Your "simpler" version is therefore
the current state of affairs, and no simpler.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk