[Gllug] Introduction (not really relevant to anything, just saying hello)

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 00:35:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 05:28:21PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> Is there a way for me to use ALSA yet keep the network-transparency of
> esd? (Obviously I don't care about latency very much if I'm playing
> sound over the network!)

Well in order to send stuff over the network, you'll need something that
can listen on a network socket. ALSA won't do this, if the sound devices
were block devices, you may've been able to use nbd, but I don't think
they are (and even if they were, I don't know how well it'd work).

So in order to send sound over a network link, you'll need something
like esd, aRts, nas, rplay or something similar. Most (if not all) will
have ALSA drivers for the host side of things, but I don't think any of
the ALSA developers would even consider adding network support. It'd be
like having a network-enabled IDE driver - not necessary when a higher
level abstraction lets you do what you need to (nbd). In this case,
esd/aRts/... are the higher (userspace) level abstraction.

--
Russell Howe     | Why be just another cog in the machine,
rhowe at wiss.co.uk | when you can be the spanner in the works?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk