[Gllug] Piece on Linux on BBC News24 this afternoon.

Murray gllug at minty.org
Sun Jun 13 10:08:56 UTC 2004

> I suspect I'll end up missing it

or watch it online (real & win media), or read the transcript ....
(may be uk only, dunno)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?q=click+online

whilst vaugely on the subject

http://www.bbctechnology.com/news40.htm
50,000 concurrent 256Kbps video streams of the Olympics.

(and i think some clued up isp's *might* be trialing multicast, but
it'll probably not reach you and me in time for Sept)

and did you know that http://www.archive.org/ is now recording something
like 12 tv stations, inc. News 24, 24x7, at near broadcast quality.  It
isn't available online, thanks to copyright reasons, but they are
recording it, so at least copies are available for historical
reference/education reasons.

And they are replicating their entire archive in 2 US locations, and
building a third in amsterdam, and might (hazy memory) have another in
Egypt.

The guy who runs it (Brewster?) gave a couple of brilliant talks
recently, inc. at notcon.  My favourite quote (said to anyone with a
media collection (like the bbc) who would be willing and able to make it
available online)...

"What would you say if I offered you unlimited disk space, unlimited
bandwidth, free, forever?"

And he meant it, which made it all the more impressive.  For an
organisation that is run from donations.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk