[Gllug] Wine experts?

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 11:51:18 UTC 2004

John Hearns wrote:
> I'm looking for a pointer to a good HOWTO on setting up Wine.
>
> I installed Wine on a dual boot RH/WinXP computer yesterday.
> Under Linux, I can mount the Windows drive.
> wine <application name> complained about a missing DLL
>
> I know you have to set up the Wine environment - simply setting
> $WINEDLLPATH and/or copying the DLL file to /usr/lib/wine didn't work.

Windows will also look in the same directory as the program for any DLLs
it requests (although there is a registry tweak to prevent this
searching - some view it as a potential security problem, in the same
vein as LD_PRELOAD)

Also, I'm not quite sure what the WINEDLLPATH variable does - I'm sure I
remember reading about it on wine-devel, and it was all a bit dark and
mysterious.

Wine should also search whichever directory is defined as the 'windows'
directory, and the 'windows system' directory (system32). One or both of
these may also work as a location for your DLL file.

Since it's complaining about not being able to find a DLL file, and
since it presumably works on Windows, I would assume that the DLL file
it requires was put in some central location away from the executable by
the installer, and wine isn't looking in said location?

--
Russell Howe
rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk