[Gllug] Good quality audio cards - going OT

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 20 12:12:11 UTC 2004

On Sun 20 Jun, Ken Smith wrote:

> But back to the original discussion - transfering vinyl to a PC. If you can
> possibly get an pre-amp for the record deck that has a digital SPDIF or
> TOSLINK output and plug that into your sound card (obviously with a similar
> digital input) you will keep the precious analog sound signals from the
> vinyl away from the interference caused by the buzzy digital world inside
> your PC. You'll just be left with the clicks and pops from the vinyl.
>
> my 2p's worth

   First get a piece of contamination-free vinyl that has not been damaged
through the use of a plough rather than a super-compliant stylus,
   Use a tracking system that mimics that used by the original cutter, not
an approximation,
   Use a stylus that does not itself introduce temporary plastic distortions
but is still able to follow the cut track without bouncing.
   Reproduce the original signal used to generate the recording from the
output obtained from your stylus.

   That in itself is difficult, and still only reproduces the best that can
be achieved with the equipment available. It can sound absolutely wonderful,
especially if you have a listening room with near ideal conditions, but if
you are able to compare the best you can buy with the original...

   I have been fortunate enough to work in some of the places where original
recordings have been made at the time. There can be huge differences between
the original sound, the sound as broadcast on (say) BBC Radio 3, the sound
as broadcast on BBC 2, and the sound as heard on commercially released
recordings. Even the original sound will vary according to your listening
position.
   The outputs from the same microphones can be used, but they can be mixed
live for transmission without pictures, mixed live to match the accompanying
pictures (with slight enhancement for anything seen in shot), or recorded
separately on multi-track recorders for later manipulation. The sound
quality can be tailored independently on each individual source, and other
effects introduced, during each individual mix, and then the output may be
further compressed.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk