[Gllug] migrating install to larger hd

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 10:14:33 UTC 2004

Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a hd that's filling up.
>
> I have a larger disk I'd like to move my install to.
>
> What's the quickest way to get it across and working?
>
> Here are my initial thoughts:
>
> A basic dd is out due to the disks being diferrent.

I think a "dd if=/dev/$olddisk of=/dev/$newdisk" would work...

As long as $newdisk is larger than $olddisk.

Then, any room on the $newdisk not used could to be added to the last
partition, which could then be resized using e.g. resize_reiserfs.

This wouldn't let you change over to using LVM as the raw data is
probably quite different.

thanks,

David.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk