[Gllug] re: SCSI vs SATA

Tom Fairbairn Tom_Fairbairn at eur.3com.com
Wed Jun 9 15:08:17 UTC 2004

>Are the transmit/receive circuits really that complicated?

They can get pretty hairy, especially the analogue stuff you need to cope with
your serial line switching at GHz.

Pete Ryland <pdr at createservices.com>@gllug.org.uk on 06/09/2004 03:58:13 PM

Please respond to Greater London Linux Users Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>

Sent by:  gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk

To:   Greater London Linux Users Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
cc:
Subject:  Re: [Gllug] re: SCSI vs SATA

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 11:10:22AM +0100, Tom Fairbairn wrote:

> Of course, the transmit/receive circuits are far more complicated and hence
> expensive than the parallel equivalents, but over recent years this cost has
> reduced compared to the cost of cables and connectors.

Are the transmit/receive circuits really that complicated?

> It's not getting to a point where people are using serial connection
> systems on PCBs

Actually, I had thought that this is presicely where we are supposedly
heading with all this SATA and PCI-X stuff.  It makes sense though when you
realise that a significant cost in IC fabrication[1] is the packaging, which
is basically proportional to the number of pins it has[2].

Pete

[1] I'm talking end-product fabrication, not design/testing.
[2] except with very large chips, where the cost of dud chips resulting from
flaws in the silicon far outweighs the packaging costs.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk