[Gllug] [OT]fire at redbus?

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 10:34:46 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 16 Jun 2004 10:06 am, Chris Bell wrote:

>    Vital equipment is fed via dual power supplies from different mains
> feeds, and we have had the linking unit (two massive diodes) go up in
> smoke. We have had just about every kind of emergency standby fail at some
> time, although luckily not always when it really mattered. But then it was
> fairly normal to have well over 50 million people watching when things did
> go wrong, and you might see it repeated several times over the next few
> days.

I recall a similar event at the BBC (BH) at a Christmas some years ago, just
prior to the Royal Speech - public supply failure, and blocked diesel
generator exhausts, so no power!  Broadcasting continued by means of a
battery-powered OB unit.....

I found it particularly scary that much of the monitoring equipment that I
used to work on in nuclear power stations is entirely mains powered - with
little or no provision for backup power.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk