[Gllug] [OT] XHTML + CSS (was: [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...)

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Fri Jun 11 00:52:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:10:00PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:32:54PM +0100, Richard Turner wrote:
> >>
> >> If you use qualitative values for text size, i.e. 'medium', 'larger',
> >> x-small, etc. you can set the width of the table in 'em' units,
> >> which neatly solves this problem.
> >
> > Sadly these units for font sizing are horrically inconsistent across
> > different browsers. Nutscrape displays them about 2 sizes larger
> > than every one, & Opera does them 1 size large. I've started using
> > a technique whereby you set a % size on the body tag & then set
> > other elements using ems. This lets you scale the size of every
> > element simply by adjusting the % size on the body tag. That said
> > I always keep body set at 76% which gives consistent sizing across
> > Mozilla, Konquerer, IE & Opera.
> >

> Hmm, perhaps I've not tested my site on enough browsers then.  I don't set a
> body font size (because that should default to 'medium') and use qualitative
> values for different sizes of different elements.  It looks the same on
> Mozilla 1.6 (Win and Linux), MSIE6, Konqueror and Opera(Win: I've not tested
> Linux).
>
> I've heard that MSIE(Mac) messes it up a bit, but our web server logs
> haven't seen a Mac entry for so long that I'm not too concerned, especially
> since I've been told it works fine with Safari (as you'd expect since
> Konqueror copes OK).
>
> Here's the site: http://www.dlf.org.uk/

Hello Everyone,

With all the talk of css, xhtml, accessibility and my zaurus arriving soon i got
inspired (that and i was farily bored today) and have hacked up this little
page.

 [ http://void.printf.net/~bredroll/zen/ ]

I hope that this is accessible (it is fully w3c happy) , its my entry into the
http://www.csszengarden.com style page,

In mozilla/konq it has a cool little menu thing down the bottom i hacked up
using css and blood. in ie, this doesnt work so ive made it display the menu
contents in the same style as the page.

comments please :-) ?

Ian

--
/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk