[Gllug] Quiet/Silent rackmount switch recommendation?

Tom Fairbairn Tom_Fairbairn at eur.3com.com
Wed Jun 23 08:04:51 UTC 2004

>Er, why would even large switches make any noise? They're
>low-power-consumotion solid-state devices

Well, yes, all the brains of modern switches are in one or two large ICs.  Think
about, though, it's the same with your Linux box - it generates a lot of heat
and needs fans.  Why?  You've got lots (hundreds of millions) of transistors
switching billions of times a second, trying to move a few GB of data around in
a second.  It's the same with switches - they use very big chips at the same
process node as the processor in your PC.  The analogue chips that interface to
Gigabit ethernet used to run at 5/6W each (per port)!

Of course, it's a lot easier if you only need 10/100.

Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>@gllug.org.uk on 06/22/2004 05:33:29 PM

Please respond to Greater London Linux Users Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>

Sent by:  gllug-bounces at gllug.org.uk