[Gllug] managing a large number of debian boxes

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 7 20:08:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:59:34PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > cfengine is an interesting tool but it doesn't provide an immediate
> > answer to the OP's question.  cfengine doesn't have any specific
> > package management tools
>
> It can be used to drive Debian's own. It's trivial, for example, to
> tell an abitrary group of machines to install/uninstall/reinstall a
> single or group of packages.

It's not a huge amount of work but it's not trivial.  There is no
package related mechanism at all, so you have to come up with your own
mechanism and first distribute it and then schedule it.

> The advantage of cfengine is that it's distro, indeed OS, neutral.

Which is no advantage to the OP, given that his question was
distribution-specific.

Off on a tangent, what /is/ it with the sudden fad for certain mail
clients to set Reply-To to both list and and OP?  I find this (very
annoying) setting cropping up very regularly at the moment, from a small
range of mail clients, much more frequently than just a few months ago.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock