[Gllug] Best option for a lot of compute power

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Jun 7 10:31:38 UTC 2004

This one time, at band camp, John Winters wrote:

> I am therefore considering putting in a bid for a powerful multi-cpu
> workstation.  The obvious choice seems to be between a couple of
> hyperthreaded processors (giving almost 4 effective processors) or a
> couple of AMD 64 bit processors.  Given that the task is very compute
> intensive (but doesn't require much of anything else - memory or i/o)
> which would be likely to give the better performance?

Since this is an activity that is only performed once per term,
wouldn't it be more cost effective to rent some space on a high
performance system/cluster?  That way you don't have to handle
maintenance and the like, and ideally the system would be upgraded as
new computing tech comes along.

I have no idea who provides such services, but I'm sure they must
exist...

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
  armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
  neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling
  second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place."
- Douglas Adams on Windows '95.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk