[Gllug] [OT?] Please sign my Google petition ...

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jun 7 21:13:52 UTC 2004

Well, I think I would agree with your arguments.

Just to say that I'm not advocating that Google drop access to sites
which aren't XHTML valid.  Just that they update their algorithms to
slightly bias towards valid sites.  In other words if there are two
sites, equal in all other respects, then the XHTML-valid site should
win.  They should do this because the XHTML-valid site is more likely
to be useful for their users, because it is more likely to render in
whatever device they are using the access the Internet.  This is not a
proposal to drop invalid sites from the index.

My second point is that Google is in a unique position to make a
difference.  A position which I am _not_ in, because I simply do not
have the huge marketing muscle to put the point about standards across
effectively.  Like it or not, people today respond to marketing
dollars, and tend to regard lone people advocating a point as loonies.
It's a shame, but unfortunately it's true (as Merjis are finding out,
which their fantastic product, but no one able to back it with hard
cash, sadly).

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk