[Gllug] Poor disk performance - help

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Mar 22 10:06:38 UTC 2004

On Sun 21 Mar Alain Williams wrote:
> I have just replaced my motherboard & CPU - but disk I/O is abysmal.
> I have AMD Athlon XP 3000+ running at 2166 MHz, I have 1G ddr 333MHz
> RAM.  Soltek motherboard (SLKT600-RL).  I have IDE 2 disks & 2 CDs.
>
> Machine seems OK except that disk i/o is slooow and uses vast amounts
> of CPU, I first noticed it when a ftp from a local machine was
> ~2Mbyte/sec with 50->100% cpu, I would expect ~10MB/sec.

Oddly enough I've just put a new AMD machine together, although with the
Chaintech mobo, so this may or may not be the same for you (the
chaintech uses the nvidia nforce3 chipset whereas the soltek uses the
VIA KT600).

I found that my APIC isn't properly supported in either 2.4 or 2.6, and
needs to be disabled.  I had all sorts of interrupt grief (which is what
it sounds like you've got), but disabling the APIC fixed it.

Boot with enable="noapic" in your lilo.conf and see if that solves your
problem.  Obviously you want to be using the APIC if possible, but at
least this narrows down the problem.

Cheers,

Doug.

--