[Gllug] Urgent Help re USB please

Sharon Kimble sharon63 at lineone.net
Fri Mar 5 14:56:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 13:46:05 +0000 (GMT)
Andrew Halliwell <ah at gnd.com> wrote:

> And verily, didst Sharon Kimble announce to the hordes:
> > And I haven't a clue how to use it! I'vd got a Palm m130 pda which
> > connects via a USB cradle, except mine doesn't seem to.
> >
> > I'm using White Box Enterprise Linux 3 [essentially RHEL 3] with the
> > kernel being kernel-2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.athlon.rpm.
> >
> > If I've got the ports, how do I get to use them please?
>
> Well... The kernel sees the USB, loads the correct modules.
> So...
> first off,
> ls /proc/bus/usb
> if that comes up with an empty directory, you need to mount usbdevfs
> mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
> (I think is the correct incantation)
>
> If it DOES come up with a listing, try plugging in a few usb devices
> and typing
>
> lsusb
> this should list info about the ports and any devices plugged into
> them
>
> the pda MIGHT appear as a usb storage device... Or, it might be
> awkward and need something special to access it, I've never had a pda.

Thanks for this. Doing '/sbin/lsusb' after pressing the HotSync button,
I get this displayed in bash:-
-----------------------
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0830:0050 Palm, Inc. Palm M130
So its obviously being seen and recognised for what it is. However, when
I use KPilot I don't know where [or how to find out] the pilot device
is that the program needs to connect to. And that now is where its all
falling down and not synchronizing.

Can you help/advise please?

Sharon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk