[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Thu Mar 18 11:32:57 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:
> Put this standard bit of mumbo-jumbo in the top and bottom of the file
> (the standard bit being a couple of server-side includes). [...]
> Write the rest of your document.

I could try it, but I suspect I'd then get a lot of calls about why Word
keeps doing funny stuff to their documents. :)  There'd also be the
problem of which server side include belonged with which section of the
website (different menus etc.), and then I'd have to explain to at least
one person how to update the menus themselves.  Maybe it would be better
to do it with SSI (for more than just this reason), but I have to admit
to quite liking DW for all the other stuff too.

> Finished.  This is not hard.  They can learn fancy stuff like using
> <strong> and <h?> later.

Well really they can't, because it's the company's website and things
like consistent look and feel are important to the marketing director.

>>2. Sitewide search and replace, text based, tag based or even attribute
>>based<br>
>
> That's a feature of my editor.

Which editor do you use?  I find the ability to quickly remove (eg) all
width attributes from a spreadsheet exported from Excel amazingly
useful, but a nice lightweight editor that could do it would be much
better (given that it takes DW about 10 seconds to start up).

>>3. The new CSS features in MX 2004 are actually really nice
>>(intellisense style drop downs when writing style rules, for instance)<br>
>
> No idea about this.  None of the end users will be writing CSS anyway.

No, but I do, and I used to do it in a text editor until MX 2004 came along.

> The hard part is getting people used to using CVS to manage the
> content and versions.

DW doesn't integrate with CVS (AFAIK), but does have it's own versioning
system if you work with Contribute.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk