[Gllug] Cyrusn IMAP Shared Folders

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 00:36:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 23:35, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:04:47PM +0000, Mike wrote:

> > I'd be curious to know if anyone actually has it working with anything
> > other than sendmail, just for future reference.
>
> Now I think about it, Exim may support this without any special tricks,
> as it supports the passing of AUTH from SMTP to SMTP (the optional AUTH
> argument to the MAIL verb, that is) and LMTP can be treated as a drop-in
> replacement identically to SMTP in Exim.

A rapid google appears to support that. There's a posting here that may
be of interest:-

http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040209/066508.html

There do seem to be reports of some people having trouble with Exim, but
they all seem to be using deliver, not LMTP, which is a bad idea with
Cyrus. So it looks like it should work happily with Exim.

It's probably also worth mentioning that the ACL issue may not be a
problem for most people anyway, as Cyrus pre-auth's as postman any LMTP
connections that occur over a Unix domain socket. I believe this
behaviour should be the same for folders in both the shared and user
hierarchy. So, as long as your MTA and Cyrus live on the same machine,
post rights to folders probably don't matter that much.

Postfix definitely does not support passing AUTH through though -
there's an email to that effect from Wietse here:-

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2004-02/0220.html

Another thing that my searching has turned up is that Postfix serialises
LMTP recipients when the local delivery agent is used, rather than
issuing multiple "RCPT TO" commands in the LMTP dialogue. This is not
good if you're using Cyrus, as you effectively lose the single-instance
store due to this behaviour. You can apparently work round it, but if
you do, you lose local aliases. There seem to be a fair number of
moaning Postfix users. I'm trying really hard not to find that amusing.
Doubtless I will now be flamed :-).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk