[Gllug] Flash and Dreamweaver going to port for Linux

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Thu Mar 18 19:28:30 UTC 2004

Richard Jones wrote:
> is much easier to use than that DEC mainframe horror.  I really don't
> believe that people will find it hard to use.  I'm sure actually
> people will find it's easier because there's much less that can go
> wrong,

I think there's a difference between actually being easy to use and
looking like it's easier to use, which the existence of Windows is a
testament to.  And it's not really that people are completely stupid,
more that if they had the sort of mind that paid attention to details
like closing tags they would have become techies in the first place,
maybe this relates to the thread about educational standards somewhat -
people don't learn grammar at school anymore and this restricts their
ability to learn and adhere to more strict grammars like (X)HTML?
Probably if I mounted a concerted internal marketing effort I could
convince people, but then I don't really have time and I do actually
like using DW for managing the site as a whole (automatically updating
links when I move/rename files as well as the global search and replace
stuff and other things I mentioned before).  If DW was available on
Linux it would basically be one less reason for me to have a dual boot
machine, I suppose.

> compared to using Word which crashes or some accidental
> keystroke performs some sort of undoable formatting change, etc etc.

Heh, and as they add new 'features' there's even more chance of messing
stuff up - track changes is now enabled automatically in 2003, we've
already had a few clients opening up Word docs with red strikethrough
text detailing work we did for their competitors, but that's another
story...

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk