[Gllug] A music player that doesn't suck?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Mar 5 10:15:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:59:03PM +0000, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Any thoughts on a music player that doesn't suck?  I've used xmms for
> years, but it really hasn't improved in any real way.  The most
> annoying thing is its lack of stability.  Crashes aren't uncommon, yet
> I don't want much.

I still use a program a friend wrote back at university called P-UKE (aka
Perl Jukebox). Its a perl script which provides a telnet chat and music
server. Connect with telnet, or any MUD client such as 'tf'. It can
playback any format & to any device for which you've got a command line
player (ie anything). There's no playlists, but when you've got the
full power of perl regular expressions for listing & queuing tracks
who needs them ;-) Oh and it comes with an obnoxious bot too which
does random track queuing whenever the current queue becomes empty.

Possibly not really what you're looking for though ;-)

Dan.

http://berrange.com/~dan/puke.tar.gz
--
|=-               http://www.berrange.com/~dan/gpgkey.txt             -=|