[Gllug] SCSI and /dev

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Mar 4 11:59:10 UTC 2004

On Thursday 04 March 2004 11:09, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:

> > Are there any good alternatives to Crystal Reports? I'd kill for an open
> > source cross platform reporting tool that integrates well with Windows
> > and non-Windows platforms, provides an interface that non-techies can
> > design reports in, and replicates the functionality of Crystal. I've yet
> > to see a credible free software alternative...
>
> Nope. I'm tempted to use xml-fo, but there are no good non-techie tools for
> it, as far as I know. Out main problem with CR is that you can't automate
> printing to file. You can export to PDF, but we need to combine lots of
> reports into one document, and that's much easier with postscript than with
> pdf. So we use an ugly hack.

I did notice some PDF tools posted on Freshmeat the other day (this week,
definitely) - commandline tools to merge/split/extract pages from/to PDFs.

I've been experimenting with producing OpenOffice files and using that to
print to PS/PDF (using vnc rather than a standard X server). Actually, I put
the sample report together in OOo word and convert that.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk