[Gllug] Getting VMware to cohabit with devfs

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 23:05:36 UTC 2004

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:39:53PM +0000, Matthew wrote:
>
>>On another note you may want to ween devfs off your system. The
>>maintainer has disappeared and support is being dropped in 2.6 in favour
>>of udev, which is actually a better system IMO anyway.
>

> Mostly accurate apart from the bit about being dropped in 2.6.

Devfs is still in 2.6 but is deprecated in favour of udev. So it is
"being dropped". But it has not been, yet.

Personally I never liked it but that's just MHO. IMHO it just adds
complexity without contributing anything of value. And, as John noted,
doesn't play nicely with VMware.

Should I mention how to spell "wean"? (Ducks)

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk