[Gllug] re: HTML Mail

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Mar 3 12:28:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:53:30AM +0000, adam wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:25:23AM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>
> > here!  Also anything with a .pif attachment or multiple filename extensions
> > (like .zip.exe) gets bounced - I'm really fed up with these silly attempts to
> > send Windoze trojans.
>
> I hope that you don't bounce that back to the From: address, I am currently
> getting about 200 mails a day from various "anti-virus" systems saying that I
> sent them a virus, while they return the message with headers indicating that
> some server in Taiwan or wherever sent the email. Grrrr. Why can't they reject
> mail at smtp time rather than later....

Heh.  One of the stupidest e-mail issues I've seen in a while was just a
few days ago, when one of our staff received two e-mails.  The first
said "We detected a virus in a message from you to
somebody at ourdomain.com with subject 'Hello'.  The message was blocked."
The second message said "We detected a virus in a message from
mailer-daemon at ourdomain.com to you with subject 'Returned mail: see
transcript for details'.  The message was blocked."

Presumably, their mail system is now sending itself an infinite series
of a) bounce messages containing the entire virus and b) virus
notification messages.  I hope they drown in them because my patience
with stupid mail admins is at an all time low.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?